Trihydroxystearin (THS) is a triester of three ester groups. It is derived as the castor oil derivative used in formulations of cosmetics, skin care and personal care. It is an excellent thickener which offers the high-degree of thixotropy and controls the flow of the product. It promotes emulsion stability in fluid systems and is used as a skin-conditioning agent. For example in lipsticks, antiperspirant and hair gels, it acts as a stiffening agent. It has a low-melting point than other waxes. When used in personal care products it slows the loss of water by forming a barrier on the skin. It can also be used as a binder in pressed powders.
- AMBROSOL THS (ULTRA), Tri Hydroxy Stearin (THS) is in compliance with ecological and organic cosmetic standards.
- It meets FDA 175.300 requirements.
- It is a non-hygroscopic derivative of castor oil that imparts a high degree of thixotropic thickening in cosmetics mineral, vegetable and silicones oils, as well as low-polarity aliphatic solvents.
- Providing thixotropic property it also imparts good pay-off in stick products.
- It adds thixotropic body and controls viscosity.
- It reduces the settling of pigments and extenders.
- It produces optimum flow and enhances levelling.